Cambridge Communications and Technical Services Inc.
Philco 37-610 Restoration Photos

I had posted some free snow tires on Craigs list and while I was there I had a look around.
A fellow near here had posted a couple antique radios for free. He was trying to clean out a storage unit.
I was interested in the 1930 Atwater Kent which came with two chassis. One was pretty bad but serves as a parts donor.

The other was this 37-610 Philco. Philco model numbers usually start by the year so this is a 1937. If you look up a 37-610 it
comes in a few different case styles. Two different table tops and the floor console.


They would have looked like this:



However this floor console is actually what appears to be a 37-630 case with a 37-610 inside. It has original Philco documentation posted inside
so it was either a special order, or an authorized or Philco owned shop changed chassis into the "better" case.
In researching this I found that people would bring their sets to the repair shop and then not pick them up. Service times
were sometimes protracted and they purchased new sets. The Service shops would sometimes swap things around in order to sell the unit.
I do not believe this to be the situation as the internal documentation appears to be factory original.
I believe this was a special order or one of the very last of these models made.

When I got it the veneer on the top was totally off. It was there but curled up and separated. The upper veneer where the case curves around,
above and below the dark stripe was missing. There was veneer missing on the bottom curved part, the front "legs."
The varnish finish was basically powder and falling off. There was no finish left on it to speak of.

Someone had got into the chassis ahead of me and removed the can type capacitors and did a couple bad repair jobs on it.
The volume control, which is a special part was shot. All the paper capacitors had to be replaced and the bias resistor string was bad.
Someone had messed up the tube socket mounted on top of the power transformer. The dial pilot lamp housing, which also serves as the station indicator was missing.
A lot was wrong with this and I figured it was toast.

Sometime in October 2014, I brought it in off the porch to see what to do with it. One thing after another, it got repaired.
The case had to be mostly glued back together. The speaker had to be re-coned as the paper cone was mostly in shreds and missing.
This was a re-visit to college trigonometry for sure. I devised an Excel program to calculate the dimensions. (Remember to convert radians to degrees in Excel.)
The data was imported into AutoCad and a template for the speaker cone was plotted. This was then cut out of some poster board and glued together with some artist glue.
I was able to find a foam speaker surround that just barely fit and glue the new cone to it
I used some mahogany veneer that I had left over from the Spitfire dash and some of that bad smelling contact cement to repair the missing veneer.
I was able to glue down the top veneer. There was a lot of sanding with the detail sander but mostly by hand. The finish is a couple coats of light cherry
stain hand rubbed and then a couple coats of hand rubbed polyurethane / cherry stain mix.

The grille cloth was totally gone. The replacement is period correct and a reproduction of the original.

The dark stripes are a dark stain (I think Teak) applied multiple times and sealed with polyurethane. I'm not sure poly is the best and certainly
is not original, but considering the condition this was found in it seemed restoration and preservation was more important than exact originality.

This radio is 78 years old as of 2015.


This is a view of the bottom of the chassis after capacitors and resistors were replaced. Many of the original
resistors were way out of their +/- 20% tolerance. I also added a fuse holder under the chassis.




The tuning dial was faded and scratched and hard to read. The original shown here was replaced with a reproduction.





The original dial lamp and reflector was totally missing. I ended up fabricating one out of a standard bayonet bulb holder and fabricated
the reflector out of a stainless steel funnel I found in a kitchen goods store.






At one point I was shipped a 6K6 tube in a 6K7 box. They are not the same. The vendor shipped a replacement 6K7 tube.
Anyone need a 6K6?




I ended up just replacing the can type filter capacitors with axial lead capacitors as the original can types were missing.
I did add solder strips to hold them unlike the previous work that had been done. The previous replacements
were not really held in by much of anything. I guess someone thought gravity would do the trick.

I eventually covered the vacant holes with some aluminum tape.


Here are a few photos of the finished product.












In this rear view you can see the loop antenna I fabricated, the reddish wire, and the re-coned speaker.
I used quite a few new wood screws and Gorilla Glue.













 

 


Web By CCTS
Cambridge Communications and Technical Services Inc.
98 Sunny Acres Road
Jeffersonville, Vermont 05464

© CCTS 2001 -